We understand our clients‘ needs and turn them into innovations.
For about 30 years now Fraunhofer FIT has been conducting R&D on user-friendly smart solutions that blend seamlessly in business processes. Our clients benefit from more efficient processes and increased quality, internal connectivity and staff satisfaction. Fraunhofer FIT is your partner of choice for digitization, Industry 4.0 projects and IoT solutions.
Our researchers work in interdisciplinary teams and combine insights from computer science with questions from other fields. Thus, the institute invents and develops applications customtailored to support people in their jobs and to enrich their leisure time. Our specific strength is a comprehensive system design process, from test and validation of concepts to the handover of well-implemented systems.
About 140 researchers with backgrounds in Computer Science, the Social Sciences, Business Administration, Economics, Psychology and Engineering are organized in FIT’s five departments and cooperate closely with and cooperate closely with Prof. Jarke’s and Prof. Decker's Information Systems group at RWTH Aachen University. In addition to our headquarters in Sankt Augustin and Aachen, Fraunhofer FIT has two branch offices: the project group Business and Information Systems Engineering (Prof. Buhl) at Augsburg University and Bayreuth University, and the Fraunhofer application center Symila (Prof. Mathis) in Hamm.
Our research, development and consulting services for our partners in the private and public sectors are aggregated in five business areas:
- Management of Coperation and Innovation develops technologies and offers research-based consulting to support digitization in companies. In addition to communication and cooperation systems, we focus on professional training and on innovative solutions for interaction and visualization using Mixed and Augmented Reality.
- Life Science Informatics, focusing on microsystems technology and integrated imaging systems for High Content analysis in diagnostics and drug research.
- Internet of Things / Energy Efficiency, focusing on cyber-physical systems for smart monitoring, optimizing and management of systems and devices to reduce energy consumption, as well as solutions for Smart factories, Smart Cities and Industry 4.0.
- Usability and User Experience Design, with special emphasis on context-optimized man–machine interaction, optimal usability of applications and devices, professional usability training, Web compliance and accessibility.
- Sustainable finance management on the microeconomic as well as the macroeconomic level, focusing on micro-analytic simulation in impact assessment as well as on (risk) analysis and efficiency improvement of complex business processes, using decision support tools, among others.